Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (4th Edition) book review

By Tina - July 30, 2015

I recently finished reading Ben Forta's Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes. It is a GREAT book to learn the basics of SQL and to learn it quickly.

What is SQL? And what do you use it for? SQL stands for Structured Query Language and it is a database language very useful when handling crazy amounts of data. In fact, the purpose of SQL is to provide an efficient (not to mention simple!!) way to manipulate data from a database.


Why am I learning SQL? The short answer is that I am looking for a career change. I'm a recent college graduate with a B.S. in Chemistry. I decided that I want to go the financial analyst route. A lot of analysts in the financial profession are familiar with SQL, I'm guessing. It's a skill that Monster.com financial analyst positions are looking for anyway.

What is so great about this book? The book is divided into 22 incredibly easy and straightforward lessons. Each lesson takes less than 15 minutes to get through. The book covers the major database management systems (DBMS), although some sections of the book do not apply to MySQL (use MySQL Crash Course instead!)

Who shouldn't get this book? If you are advanced in SQL, then this book will most likely do nothing for you. But the title already makes that pretty obvious.

How much did I buy the book for? I bought the paperback version through Amazon for $22.22.

IMAGE SOURCE: The picture is the front cover of Ben Forta's Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This looks like a wonderful little book for beginners to the SQL database language.

    ReplyDelete