Rachel Platten concert

By Tina - April 07, 2016


I bought a pair of tickets to the Wildfire Tour for the last showing in Los Angeles (and the last concert of the tour). I went with one of my best friends. She is a big fan of Rachel Platten. 

I actually didn't know any of Rachel Platten's music besides her radio hit- I bought the tickets because Eric Hutchinson was opening and he is wonderful.

The concert venue was at the historic El Rey Theater. The converted theater provided a nice and intimate setting, but it was still spacious enough to not have to worry about being stepped on (the concert was a sold out show so there were many, many people present). The art deco building stood out on the street thanks to the bright neon lights framing the marquee.

Bad photo of the venue (1)
Bad photo of the venue (2)
The concert started promptly at 8 pm. The first opener was an indie pop duo band called Hunter Hunted. The pair were okay live. The band harmonized really well, but they weren't very musical when it came to ..anything else. I think the two wore themselves too thin. The mastery of the instruments was lacking simply because they tried to play too many different things at once. After the concert, I looked them up and their songs aren't so bad studio form.

Bad photo of Hunter Hunted
Hunter Hunted played maybe 5 songs? The following two were the most memorable for me:




After Hunter Hunted, Eric Hutchinson &The Believers brought the excitement for the night up, like waaay up. 

Eric Hutchinson wore a smart and snazzy suit and kinda looked like a young Barry Manilow (in my opinion). My friend said he looked like Ryan Gosling (that's probably a bit more flattering). But his appearance doesn't matter- Eric Hutchinson's voice was incredible. The vocal runs he did during the show were a m a z i n g.


Bad photo of E.H. (1)
Bad photo of E.H. (2)
Bad photo of E.H. (3)

Some of my favorites of his from the concert:





After Eric Hutchinson, Rachel Platten and her team took the stage. She had a quick guest appearance from the YouTube guy who played the keyboard while Rachel Platten sang (his accompaniment on the piano took my breath away... it wasn't like the melody was difficult to play, but it was just so pretty...).

Rachel Platten had tons of energy. She is also super cheesy. Her proclamations of love and hope and catching miracles with butterfly nets and all that angel imagery normally would make me uncomfortable since that sort of stuff is so ...blechh. But she was super genuine and sincere about it, I couldn't help but be a little moved and inspired.

Overall I think she is a pretty good singer. I didn't like how high pitched her voice was though. She sounded nothing like her voice on the radio. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone told me she inhaled a liter's (22.4 moles at STP) worth of helium before the concert. I finally got used to her voice after maybe five songs. But it still sounded a little off putting. My friend speculated that her voice just wasn't doing so hot after having so many shows, which makes sense.

Bad photo of Rachel Platten... also she is SO PRETTY. I showed my photos to a friend saying that I was at her concert and his exact words were, "Err. Why is she wearing so little?" and I was like "...What?"

Besides the famous Fight Song, my favorite song of hers is probably this one.


Anyway, my friend and I had a very fun night. It's such a shame I can't take any good photos. People around me with their fancy phones took some very lovely photographs...

IMAGE SOURCE: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiGmfv_8_3LAhVHyWMKHYdoCwoQjxwIAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.josepvinaixa.com%2Fblog%2Frachel-platten-wildfire%2F&psig=AFQjCNFBy-u69t243kHdm8XM7Amla7e0Fg&ust=1460165898427740

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments