Travel diary: Crestline, California

By Tina - December 24, 2016


Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you are having a wonderful holiday spending time with family and friends! 




Last weekend I went to Crestline with friends to spend pre-Christmas in the mountains. We stayed at a charming little cabin  I booked through airbnb in Crestline, CA. Originally I had a full itinerary planned, with the group going to Big Bear for snow play and hiking at Heart Rock in Crestline... but we ended up just staying indoors for the entire weekend. 

We spent the time watching Christmas movies, baking cookies, making chocolate covered strawberries, solving puzzles, and playing board games. We also set up a Secret Santa gift exchange and I got a ukulele! I don't know how to play it yet, but I plan to learn and impress by next year!

Anyway below are some quick snapshots of my Christmas cabin weekend. The photos are not in any particular order, but that should be okay!!!!!! Happy holidays everyone!


We didn't do much during our weekend Crestline getaway. We mostly stayed indoors but the gang did venture outside one afternoon to check out the little shops in town. The storefronts were very cute.
I think that this was the only restaurant in town. We walked to a grocery store so I could buy apples to make caramel french apple tart, but yelp lied and from the looks of it the grocery store was closed a long time ago. Anyway we didn't eat at the restaurant- I am a gourmet chef with a love for cooking!!!
 This picture was taken on the first day. It was super foggy driving up the mountain. The following pictures will be more on the fog.... which I realize now is kinda silly since you literally can't see anything in the photos because of it.
 I am happy I did not have to drive this.
 The road had just one hairpin, not so bad.
 The fog got really dense up here. We almost missed our turn into the Valley of Enchantment. And yes that's the name of the road. 
  This is a picture of the same little town. I like it better when it's sunny.
 We took the right at the fork. The slope is really steep and we got stuck in the morning because of the snow. 
 This is the living room area of the cabin. The sofa was incredibly comfy. I brought Trader Joe's onion corn puffs and my SQL textbook because I still had to turn in a final that day. Cry.
 This is one of the bedrooms in the cabin. The quilt is cute. 
 It snowed on the first night!!!!! 
 This pic is of the morning after the snow. Everything looks better under a blanket of white snow. 
 I wish it snowed a bit more though. Still too much green!
 I got a Pokemon puzzle which the group took a whopping 20 minutes to finish. That is embarrassing considering it is a 100 piece puzzle and there were four of us.
 I want to eat this.
 This is the entrance to the cabin. It is a wonderful place to stay! If I ever am rich, I would love to own a cabin like this and rent it out to strangers.
 I cooked and baked a lot over the weekend. These are oatmeal white chocolate craisin cookies. They're delicious! The cookies have a nice crunch on the edges, but they still have the highly sought after soft and chewy center. Yes, very good cookie.
 For one of the lunches, we had chunky tomato basil soup...
 ... paired with pepper jelly cheddar grilled cheese. "Pepper jelly is a dangerous thing," said one of the cabin patrons.
I also baked brie in puff pastry. The brie is topped with apricot jam and then wrapped in puff pastry. We ate the cheese with sourdough crackers. I am a little sad I did not think to take pictures of more of the food. But I wanted to eat it too badly I guess.

Image source: https://activerain-store.s3.amazonaws.com/image_store/uploads/5/8/0/1/3/ar124884779531085.jpg
http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2015/04/hith-father-christmas-lights-iStock_000029514386Large.jpg

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments