Part 1: Making a Pokémon music box

By Tina - August 19, 2015

I want to give my friend, Francis, a very amazing Christmas gift- a gift so amazing that he will be moved to tears and there will be no way he can reciprocate a gift as amazing in return and maybe he will feel like he owes me and will treat me better and not be as mean yes that would be very okay. People generally feel touched by handmade sentimental gifts, so that is the direction I'm heading. I know that handmade gifts of tear duct activating caliber require a tremendous amount of time and effort, which is why I am starting so early.

I met Francis a couple years ago. Pokémon X & Y had just been released worldwide. Francis and his roommate, Jeffrey, were waiting in line at Gamestop for the midnight release of Pokémon. I had pre-ordered my copy through Amazon and would not receive it until noon (this time around I am going to go to a midnight release for Sun and Moon so I don't have to wait those ridiculous 12 hours...). I did not know Francis then, but I will later find that the magic of Pokemon brings people together.

We were introduced through Jeffrey (Francis' roommate and my fellow chemistry friend). The reason we met was because of Skrelp. Skrelp is a Pokémon. It is of the mock kelp species and resembles a seahorse. Skrelp is the most awesome Pokémon ever. It is so cute. And it evolves into a pretty cool Dragalge. 
Skrelp

Dragalge


Unfortunately Skrelp is a Pokémon Y exclusive Pokémon and I had Pokémon X. This is like the worst case scenario that could happen in anyone's life (although honestly I am just kidding)!!!!!! I took to Facebook to broadcast my feelings of not being able to catch my favorite sixth generation Pokémon.



Jeffrey saw the post and being an awesome person, hooked me up with a Skrelp by mentioning his roommate played Pokémon too. So I messaged Francis. We exchanged friend codes and I got my Skrelp (by trading a derpy looking Slurpuff). This was the start of a wonderful friendship.

And Francis is a wonderful friend. He has many emotions (too many emotions to be honest), he loves to eat chocolate chip cookies, and he is quite the talented pianist. He once arranged a Disney's Frozen piece for my birthday (Frozen's Let it Go)!!

So for Christmas 2015, I decided to make Francis a music box that contains a melody that this time I arranged (even though I'm not even close to being as musically talented as he is, I gave it a go anyway). I bought a music box kit online from Amazon (Kikkerland's Make Your Own Music Box Kit) and picked the Pokémon XY bicycle theme as my song choice. I then used Noteflight, an online music notation software that I used once before when I took AP Music Theory (lol I probably created a ton of parallel octaves/fifths....), to make an arrangement based on the bicycle theme.  

My arrangement of Pokemon XY bicycle theme written on Noteflight

Then I punched holes corresponding to the right notes onto the music box paper. One sheet (more of a ribbon, actually) of music box paper wasn't enough, so I simply taped the sheets together to match my required length. Punching the notes took a long time and a lot of effort. I did not enjoy it.

Very hard to punch... had to use a lot of force
After punching out all the holes, of course I wanted to test it out on the music box. It didn't sound as put together as I had hoped. The crank is not very easy to turn, especially at the place where I taped the two music sheets together. Hopefully the problems are easily fixed by mounting the music box mechanism, which I plan on doing anyway. 

Below is a video of my momma playing my music box. She is a lot better at gripping the mechanism so her hands get to star in the video. The video sound quality is pretty bad. The music actually sounds a lot brighter. And also I'm sure the finished mounted product will sound a lot better on video too. 


Well now that the music box tune is ready, it is time to make the actual "box." My vision is to base the music box structure off of a design I found online, but to redesign the actual look to be a Gloom (first gen Pokémon... very stinky and unloved). 


Music box inspiration

For further updates, please check out Part 2: Making a Pokémon music box!

IMAGE SOURCE: All Pokémon images owned by The Pokemon Company. The duck music box image I got from the hkgshop website.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. The music dot paper punching definitely looks like it took a very long time. Props to that.

    ReplyDelete