Part 2: I made a golden snitch clock

By Tina - August 21, 2015

Recap: My old college roommate's birthday is coming up and I made her a golden snitch clock through woodworking. All the woodworking is finished (wings, snitch body, and clock cavity) and now all that is left is to paint!

To paint the wood pieces, I first applied a thin layer of primer. It is very important to apply primer prior to painting. There are a few reasons to do this. One reason is because the wood's porous nature will absorb paint solvent, causing the paint to dry prematurely and disrupt a paint's curing cycle.* Applying a layer of primer prevents this from happening. Another reason to apply primer first is because it helps cover up the wood grain. Applying a coat of paint to a piece of wood without any primer... lol no bro you will need like five coats. The coat of primer also promotes adhesion of the paints to the surface. For paint to wet the desired surface, its surface tension must be less than or equal to the critical surface tension of the surface. 

After applying primer, the pieces were ready to paint. I bought acrylic paint from the arts and crafts store. I painted the wings gold and I painted the snitch body a mixture of gold and bronze. The golden snitch as describe from the literature is said to have silver wings and a gold body, but I personally find the cinematic interpretation of the golden snitch a lot nicer to look at (all gold and bronze tones golden snitch).


Golden wings and bronzed body

After the paint has dried, I used bronze paint to paint the markings on the golden snitch.


Bronze markings on golden snitch, before the paint dried


Once the acrylic paint dried, I applied a thin coat of varnish that I bought on Amazon for a super glossy look.

The golden snitch clock is finally ready! It looks pretty awesome!!!!! I hope she likes it!!!!!!!!

Look #1

Look #2



*Curing describes the process of polymer hardening through polymer chain cross-linking. But it is important to note that curing and drying are two different processes. Drying simply refers to the evaporation of the paint solvent. Depending on the paint chemistry, particle paints can undergo one process or the other or both... or neither too.

SOURCE: Introduction to Paint Chemistry and principles of paint technology, Fourth Edition, John Bentley, G.P.A. Turner
IMAGE SOURCE: First image is the book cover of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is really cool. I always thought doing something like this would be very complex...and well, it's not as complex as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete