Part 2: Making the Netflix cat game

By Tina - October 15, 2015

^^^^^^^^ I have for you the intro of my Netflix Cat game. Looks cute right?

And the game code writing is going ... it's hopefully going somewhere. There are major debugging problems that I have to deal with. But here is what it looks like so far. I'm sure a lot of stuff will change by the time the game is ready.


When you open up the game, you should see a couple JButtons across the top (or bottom, haven't decided where yet). I'm thinking about getting rid of the INTRO button and combining it with the HELP page
This is the HELP page, I am going to change the whole look of it. But this page is simple enough. It's just one button to go back to the MAIN MENU and a background image with instructions. If I combine the INTRO with the HELP, then I'll need to figure out a way to embed the above video I showed you here.
This is the actual game. Pizza, computers, pants, and sheep fall off the screen. For some reason.... the Netflix Cat is not appearing here!!!!!! There are a lot of problems on this page....

Most of the coding I got from this tutorial with lots of tweaks.

BIG PROBLEMS
-I have no idea where Netflix Cat went. And he is SUPER important so I'll need to fix that. 
-When Netflix Cat (NC) touches the sheep, NC will turn into Sparkle Cat (SC) and will get 10 seconds of immunity meaning that whatever SC touches will just turn into major big points. I'm having trouble introducing those 10 seconds into the game writing. Also since NC isn't even in the game for some reason, I dunno if the collision detection between the cat and the falling objects is working. (Meaning that I also don't know if the points and life counter on the top right of the game is working too.) AND I dunno if NC/SC moving left and right is working properly too.
-I want to control the rate of occurrence of the objects falling down. Right now all the objects are randomly appearing along the top with random x positions. But some items should be more exclusive (like the sheep and the PC). I also want to give the sheep and PC parabolic falling down trajectories to make it even harder to get it. 
-My boolean GameOver is set to false in the beginning of the game. And there is a checker section in my code where the game checks the life counter and if it is <0 then GameOver == true. But something is wrong with the section and all I get are error messages. :(((((((((

EXTRA STUFF
-I haven't added music yet to the game, of course I want to!!!!!!
-Everything needs to be prettier. I'll probably change all the background images and beautify the JButtons. 
-I really want to add a cut scene once the game is over. But the internet says that it's hard to do and I couldn't find good examples on how to do it. I thought it would be easy. Like import some media package or something and just have a calling function to get a cut scene once the game is over, but I haven't found anything like that.






IMAGE SOURCE: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/78/1e/b4781ee18c3f9999d01203c2b46202a9.jpg... i found here but dunno original source

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments